Truck camping can be an adventurous and exciting trip when done with the right camping tents and in the right place. The right place you can easily choose according to your preferences. Choosing the right camping equipment can be a difficult task. This is because there are many truck tents available in the market from different brands. They vary in different sizes and are compatible with different vehicles.
Thus, for your help, we have made this guide about truck camping. It covers various aspects related to truck camping. This includes the different types of camping tents available in their market, how you can choose the best camping tent for your camping experience, and a list of some of the best canopy camping tents available online.
Let’s start with some of the variations of the camping tents available.
Various truck bed camping techniques
You choose any of the truck bed tents depending upon your sleeping style because camping is all about fun and enjoyment, choose the one in which you can easily enjoy and sleep comfortably. Some of the most popular styles of truck bed tents are mentioned here:
Popup truck bed tents
Popup truck bed tents are one of the most flexible camping tents to use. They only need to be attached to your vehicle and are ready to use once attached perfectly. Also, you don’t have to spend a huge amount of money on installing a popup truck bed tent. With them, you can easily camp at your desired destination.
Slide-in truck campers
Slide-in truck campers eliminate the need for towing the truck tents to camping sites. These are recreational vehicles that can easily slide in the truck bed. They extend over the sleeping area in the truck. These truck campers are made with hard material like aluminum or wood. The use of such materials increases their durability. Thus, you don’t have to buy them frequently. Also, they are available in many designs, layouts, and styles. You can enjoy almost every facility available in homes in such camping vehicles. Some of these are the cooking area, full bathroom, spacious resting area, etc.
Truck canopy camping can be imagined as installing a truck topper on the vehicle. They are very versatile and easily allow you to customize it according to your preferences. You can modify the sleeping space according to your comfort level. You can also use truck canopies in their basic version by just adding a mattress in it. The advanced version may include adding other amenities in it.
Truck tents buying guide
Buying a camper means exploring a lot of options and alternatives prevailing in the market. For the perfect camping experience, it is necessary to buy the right camping tent and pieces of equipment. Before being the owner of a truck camper, you should consider the following factors:
Cost of the camper
The first thing you need to decide is your budget. Deciding a budget is important as it will help you find out the truck campers which are feasible for you. Before choosing a truck, camper answers yourself the following questions:
- Is it available in your budget?
- Will it be beneficial in investing in it?
- Will the camper give good resale value?
- Floorplanning of the camper
- Carefully analyze the floor plan of the truck camper which you are considering buying. Before buying it determine
- How many people can comfortably stay in the camper?
- Does the camper have enough space for placing a cooking top?
- How much storage space is available?
- What is the logical layout of the camper?
- The size of the camper: Size is an important factor to consider. It directly affects the level of comfort you will experience in the camper. Also, it will help you determine where you will be able to store the camper when not in use. While choosing a size to determine the following:
- What is the length of the truck camper?
- What is the height of the camper?
- How comfortably can you move inside the truck camper?
- How much space is available with you for storing the camper?
The weight of the camper
If you are buying a popup camper you must know its weight. This is because that weight you have to carry with yourself to the camping location. Otherwise, if you are buying a slide-in or hard wall truck camper then choose the weight of the camper by considering the weight carrying capacity of your vehicle.
- Purpose of buying the camper
Always choose the camper according to the purpose for which you are buying it. You need to decide the following things before buying it:
- The place where you will camp with it?
- How many people will use the camper?
- How frequently will you use the camper?
- For what purposes will you use the camper?
The towing capacity of the truck
- The towing capacity of the truck is the maximum weight it can carry within it. You need to determine the payload of the truck before buying it. It is important to know the towing capacity because after that only you will be able to decide what other elements like cooking area, beds, etc. you can add to the truck camper.
- Towing capacity dictates the level of comfort you can achieve with the truck camper.
Truck camper slide outs
Slideout in the truck camper was a new initiative made to enhance the truck camper design. By adding slide-outs the storage capacity of the truck camper was increased. It added to the living space as well as to the storage space. They made these truck campers more comfortable. You can add more amenities to the truck campers with these slideouts. Thus, if you want to have more storage and living space in the truck campers then search for the one with slideouts.
Truck camper tires
Most of the people neglect this factor while buying a truck camper. Buying good quality camper tires last longer. They allow you to explore your favorite camping destinations without worrying about replacements of the tires. With good camping tires, you don’t have to change it frequently. So always look for good quality camping tires before buying the truck camper.
If you are planning to buy slide-in truck campers or hard wall truck campers then it is obvious you will expect the presence of basic amenities in it. The bathroom is one such amenity. But there are different types of bathrooms available in truck campers. Consider the following types before buying a truck camper with a bathroom:
Wet bathroom: They are also known as combo baths. They consist of a toilet and sink in the same space made for the shower. Such kind of bathroom was present generally in older truck campers but are present in some of the present models.
Dry bathroom: These kinds of bathrooms are similar to those present in homes. The separate cabinet is created for the sink, toilet, and shower.
No bathroom: Such truck campers do not have bathrooms attached in it. You can install one if you require it.
Toilet and outdoor shower: Under this style, the showerhead is kept outside while the toilet is kept inside. You can’t expect hot water in such showers.
Toilet only: Such camper bathrooms are designed with only toilets. Some variations may have a sink within it.
Best truck canopy campers
Here is a list of some of the best truck canopy campers available online. You can choose among them by considering their features and other factors.
Guide gear truck tent
- TURN YOUR TRUCK INTO A CAMPER – Turn your truck into a camper in just a few moments with the Guide Gear Truck Tent for Camping. This truck bed tent provides a fast and comfortable shelter anywhere. Sleeps 2
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT – Our compact truck tent is lightweight and perfect to be kept in your car. It comes with a heavy-duty, weather-resistant polyester carrying bag that makes it very convenient for travel and storage
- FITS MOST FULL-SIZED BEDS – The full-size truck tent for camping fits most truck bed mattresses measuring 79-81" with the tail gate down. Pickup truck tent for Chevy, Ford, GMC, Nissan, Toyota, and more full-sized pickups
- WATER-RESISTANT COATING – Made of 190T polyester with 1500mm water-resistant coating, this truck tent camper comes with a full rainfly to keep you totally dry. Mesh windows for ventilation and sewn-in polyethylene flooring
- SUPER EASY TO SET UP – Easy to set up with 4 total poles that deploy quickly and fit securely to your vehicle make the right full-size bed tent easy. Fully enclosed, it will let you take your campsite anywhere with you
This full-size truck tent gave a whole new meaning to the truck campers. It is very easy to install and can be deployed within minutes. It provides you with a complete, comfortable, and soothing shelter above the ground. It has been made with top-notch materials for better functionality and durability. The excellent ventilation options allow you to easily stay inside the truck canopy tent. This canopy for truck tents is lightweight and requires adjusting just 4 poles for a complete setup. For keeping the tent and you completely dry during rains it comes with rainfly. A large interior allows a comfortable stay for the people who love to camp.
Napier Backroadz Canopy tent
- Backroadz Truck Tent - Stuff Sack - Napier 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Spacious interior with ample headroom, comfortably sleeps 2 adults
- Full rainfly and storm flaps in windows and door provide privacy and weather protection
- Full tent floor keeps you clean from your truck and dry from the elements
- Gear loft, gear pocket, and lantern holder to keep personal items organized
This a spacious canopy truck tent with ample headroom. The center height of the truck tent is around 58-62 inches. For optimal ventilation, the truck tent has two mesh windows within it. It requires just 10 minutes for complete setup with its color-coded pole and sleeve assembly. For covering the windows, you are provided with extra storm flaps. Also, for keeping you dry the tent has a rainfly with it. For keeping your items, the truck tent has a gear pocket, gear loft, and lantern holder. Thus, for a complete adventurous camping trip, you can choose this truck tent canopy.
Smittybilt overlander truck tent
- Standard size tent (sleeps 2-3) with high-density 92" x 55" foam double/full mattress and 661 lb. max load
- 600D heavy-duty waterproof top and rain fly; sunroof; side windows with mosquito netting; anodized aluminum tent frame poles; telescopic ladder; interior LED strips and many more features
- Easy to set up and take down; heavy duty PVC cover keeps tent dry and free from UV rays when not in use
- Smittybilt Tent Annex (sold separately #2788) with removeable floor can be attached with heavy duty zippers for privacy
- Tent also available in Size XL (sleeps 3-4 #2773). Ladder extension also available (#2785).Ladder capacity:265 lbs
It is a standard size truck tent that allows a comfortable stay of two-three people. The bed is made with high-quality, high-density foam. It includes rainfly to protect yours from getting wet and also a sunroof for protecting you from scorching heat of the sun. The side windows are made for optimal ventilation along with mosquito netting. Some of its attractive features include the telescopic ladder, aluminum tent frame poles, interior LED strips, and many more. For complete privacy, it has a removable floor with heavy-duty zippers.
Quictent truck tent
With 63” inches headroom, two adults can easily stay in this truck tent. It can easily accommodate 6-6.3” truck beds. For providing soothing shade the truck tent has 47”x47” awning. For complete protection from rainy weather, the tent has rainfly covering. You can easily attach this rainfly and remove it in 5 minutes. The floor of the truck tent is completely sealed and is made waterproof. So, you don’t have to worry about the floor getting wet.
- LARGE SPACE - 63'' width for 2 persons, 63'' headroom makes staying inside more. 78'' length fits all 6' - 6.3' truck beds, Please measure your truck bed first
- REMOVABLE AWNING - 47'' (L) x 47”（W) Extra large awning can be used to shade or keep out the rain, , easy fishing and shoes. Can be stored on the door when not used.
- FULL WATERPROOF RAINFLY - Full rainfly provides ultimate weather protection, allowing you to camp in extreme weather. Quick build or remove in 5 minutes.
- FULL WATERPROOF FLOOR - PU 2000mm Fully sealed floor, keep the room clean and dry, no small animals disturb, so that you have a comfortable sleep.
- 2 YEARS WARRANTY - Our service will provide timely and effective help and 2 year parts replacement service
Raptor series camping tent
- Standard size tent (sleeps 2) with high-density 78 by 48 inch foam double/full mattress and 750 pound max load. 140 pound roof or truck bed rack required. Installs on parallel or cross bars.
- Sets up and closes in seconds. Unique design eliminates need for additional setup. Heavy duty telescoping 8 foot aluminum ladder
- Aerodynamically engineered to withstand heavy winds and shed rainwater. Heavy duty cover keeps the tent dry and protected when tent is stowed away. 2 hanging shoe and storage pockets that roll up and store with ease. Built in air vents with quick adjust control feature. Interior features a spacious living area and plenty of places to hang your gear
- Net door rolls from the top down allowing air flow in while protecting you from the elements. Built in awning creates a natural panoramic view
- Warning: This LTL freight shipment requires a good contact phone number to schedule delivery. An Amazon message request is sent when tracking is added to your order. Please reply to allow the seller enough time to update the carrier. Signature is required for delivery
It is a standard size rooftop tent with a 750-pound maximum load. It can easily accommodate two adults within it. You can set up this truck roof top tent within seconds. With its 8-foot aluminum ladder, you can easily climb up to your tent. It is engineered in such a way that it can handle heavy winds and rainwater. The heavy-duty material used in its construction keeps the tent dry. For extra storage, it has hanging shoes and storage pockets. For complete ventilation, it has air vents within it. The net door can be easily rolled down and protects you from unwanted things from coming inside the tent. For a natural view, it features awning.
The final takeaway
Truck Camping can be an unforgettable adventure when done with the right truck tent. So, choose wisely for a marvelous camping trip. We hope the above list of canopy truck tents served your purpose. When you step out to buy a truck tent for yourself use our buying guide to have the best truck tent with you.
Enjoy your truck camping and happy shopping.
Last update on 2021-04-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API